irish mail left
The Quarry Hunslet Web Site

Celebrating these unique steam locomotives
irish mail
This locomotive was originally named Sextus and was built in 1896 to a gauge of 2' for the Groby Granite Quarry in Leicestershire. By 1909, the locomotive was in need of extensive attention and returned to Hunslet in Leeds. However, the owners reconsidered and decided instead to part-exchange Sextus for a new 0-6-0 locomotive.

In 1910, the vast Dinorwic Quarries near Llanberis needed another locomotive and Hunslet were able to offer Sextus from stock. The locomotive was modified to meet Dinorwic's requirements, including removal of the simple cab, a slight reduction in the gauge to 1'11½", altering the draw gear and fitting a second injector.

The locomotive was renamed Lady Madcap either in 1911 or possibly two years later.

Lady Madcap
The locomotive is similar to the Penrhyn 'Port' class locomotives, and worked at Dinorwic until 1931. Then it received a major overhaul and was transferred up to Allt Ddu to work on the tramroad connecting quarry operations in the Allt Ddu area with the steam mills. Possibly the locomotive had a shorter boiler and water tank from 1931, having been made more like the 'Alice' class locomotives. It continued in service through its next major overhaul in 1947 until withdrawal in the Spring of 1952,
Lady Madcap
Lady Madcap was mostly broken up, but many parts survived, being collected gradually over a period of years by the new owners.
Lady Madcap
Now restoration is in progress. New frames have been cut and assembled.
Lady Madcap
Parts for the rebuild of 0-4-0 Quarry Hunslet Lady Madcap. The new frames and original chimney are shown.

Lady Madcap
The reconditioned cylinder/valve blocks and the wheelsets are shown.


Photographs copyright remains with the person who took them, you should contact them if you wish to use their pictures. If no contact address is given on the page, please contact the webmaster in the first instance.
2007 - 2009 © Mark Adlington. All rights reserved.